Malini’s research interests include issues related to macroeconomics, public finance, international trade and social protection. In CBGA, she is responsible for the internal review of our research outputs; she makes significant contribution to the organisation’s research on taxation issues. Currently, Malini is also leading a project on building an Open Data Portal on Budgets in India.
Prior to joining CBGA, she has worked as Senior Economist at Economic Research Foundation, New Delhi. She has also taught economics at various reputed institutes and worked as a Researcher at Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER). Malini has done her M.A. in Economics from Delhi School of Economics and M.Phil in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Some of her publications include:
- “India’s Foreign Trade: Recent Patterns, Challenges and Prospects”, in Jayati Ghosh ed. (2015), India and the World Economy, ICSSR and Oxford University Press (OUP), New Delhi
- 'Public Finance Policy and Inequality: A Review of the Contrasting Experiences of India and Ecuador' in Democratic Renewal versus Neoliberalism: Towards Empowerment and Inclusion, edited by Consuelo Silva Flores and Claduio Lara Cortes, CLACSO (Latin American Council of Social Sciences), Buenos Aires, 2014.
- Module on (co-authored ) “Social Protection” as part of UNICEF- ERF Online Course entitled “Socio-Economic Policies for Child Rights with Equity”, 2014;
- Module on (co-authored ) “Social and Economic Policies to Reduce Poverty and Ensure Child Rights” as part of UNICEF- ERF Online Course entitled “Socio-Economic Policies for Child Rights with Equity”, 2014.
- Chapter (co-authored) in Report entitled Reducing Inequality: Learning lessons for the post-2015 agenda – India case study, Save the Children, UK, 2013.
- Development Research Digest (DRD) Briefs for International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Rome, Italy, available at IFAD website.
- Chapter (co-authored) on "Developing Asia and India: Pattern, Extent and Nature of Integration" in IDEAs Report for China, India and Asia: The Anatomy of an Economic Relationship, November, 2009, also available at International Development Economics Associates website: networkideas.org.
- “NAMA: Developed Countries as the Donors?”, July 24, 2008, available at International Development Economics Associates website: networkideas.org.
- “Input Subsidies to Agriculture: The Case of Subsidies to Fertilizer Industry Across Countries”, (Co-authored with S Ashra), Vision, The Journal of Business Perspectives, Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon, Haryana, India, Sage Journals, Vol. 11, No. 3. July-September 2007: 07/2007; 11(3):35-58. DOI: 10.1177/097226290701100305
- Three Years of Opening Up of the Economy”: Analysis of the 1994 Budget, with Kumaresh Chakravarty and team, in the Observer of Business and Politics, Delhi, February 1994.
- “The Tyre Industry: Heading for a Rough Ride”: Observer of Business and Politics, Delhi, July 1992.